Low Income Rate Discounts
Cowlitz PUD offers discounted electric rate programs for qualified low-income seniors (62 and older) and disabled customers. Currently over 900 of our residential customers have qualified for a discounted electric rate. The PUD and Lower Columbia Community Action (CAP) work cooperatively on these programs.
You may qualify for a discount on your electric bill, if:
- You have been a Cowlitz PUD customer for the past 12 months and are legally responsible for the electric bill, and
- Your gross annual household income meets federal low-income standards listed in the table below
Enrollment runs from July through October of each year for the Senior (SDR) and Disabled (DDR) Discount Rate programs. See the guidelines below to find out if you may qualify.
If you believe you meet the requirements listed below, or know someone else who may, contact Cowlitz PUD or CAP to find out more about the Senior or Disabled Discount Rates. It doesn’t hurt to ask!
The application window for the 2018 program closed on October 19, 2018.
961 12th Avenue, Longview, WA 98632
Lower Columbia CAP
1526 Commerce Ave, Longview, WA 98632
360-425-3430 ext. 231
Qualifications & Requirements
- The applicant must occupy the premise, have been a Cowlitz PUD customer for the past 12 consecutive months and be legally responsible for payment of the PUD account.
- Senior: At least 62 years old by December 31 of the current year, or
- Disabled: Qualified for special parking privileges under RCW 46.16.381(1) (a through h) or a blind person as defined in RCW 74.18.020(4), or are a disabled, handicapped, or incapacitated person as defined under RCW 71A.10.020(3) or any other existing state or federal program. A physician’s certificate is required if the customer does not have a disabled parking permit.
- To qualify for the disabled discount rate the customer must earn a long-term or permanent disability income (i.e. SSI, SSDI).
- The applicant must apply for the discounted rate and meet with CAP to provide proof of disability, income and residency as determined by the PUD.
- Annual gross household income will be calculated based on a review of all related financial records. The gross household income will determine the level of the rate discount as shown in the chart below:
Persons in HH 25% DISCOUNT
Gross HH Income
Gross HH Income
1 – 2 Up to $16,460 $16,461 – $28,805 3 Up to $20,780 $20,781 – $36,365 4 Up to $25,100 $25,101 – $43,925 5+ Up to $29,420 $29,421 – $51,485
- The discounted rate must be reapplied for every two years, during an enrollment period set by the PUD.
- Low-income discount applies only to a primary residence and is not available for seasonal or other secondary residences.
- No customer is eligible for more than one PUD low-income rate discount program, even if the requirements of both are met.
- Contact CAP at 360-425-3430 ext. 231 between July 10 and October 19, 2018 and request an appointment to review your eligibility for the rate discount. CAP will inform applicants of all documentation they are required to present at the meeting. Appointments offered through November 13, 2018. CAP provides service letters, so a trip to Cowlitz PUD is no longer required.
Don’t forget: Cowlitz PUD requires a completed Authorization to Release Utility Information form (PDF) on file prior to releasing customer information to CAP. These forms are also available at the Cowlitz PUD office.
- Please note an important change from previous years: Cowlitz PUD eliminated its 5% discount, but increased its maximum income requirement to 175% of Federal Poverty Level. Qualifying customers will now receive a 15% discount.
- CAP makes the final determination of eligibility then informs the applicant and the PUD of its decision. Once the PUD receives the approval notification from CAP, the discounted rate will go into effect.
Contact the PUD via email or by phone at 360-423-2210 or 800-631-1131. During the enrollment period, you may also contact CAP at 360-425-3430 ext. 231.